Acupuncture for Back Pain
Acupuncture for back pain can help with pain relief and management.
Over 3 million Australians have back pain. Back pain is most prevalent in people aged from 65 to 79 and the incidence of back pain is about the same for both men and women.
One thing for sure, back pain affects a lot of people.
Causes of Back Pain
Back pain is generally caused by either spine-related problems or through injuries.
- Herniated or slipped discs – the soft tissue between your discs has popped out putting pressure on nerves resulting in pain. This is most commonly due to wear and tear.
- Degenerative discs – the soft tissue between the discs wears down to bone rubbing on bone.
- Spinal stenosis – your spinal canal has narrowed putting pressure on your nerves.
- Pinched nerve – usually caused by a herniated disc or a bone spur.
- Arthritis – this weakens your joints and ligaments and can cause a disc to move forward over a vertebra.
- Impact injuries from accidents or falls leading to muscle strain, tear and also bone fractures.
- Lifting injuries that cause microtears in the muscles and ligaments of the back.