Reflux is also known as heartburn or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Symptoms include a burning pain in your stomach, throat or chest and/or bitter tasting acid in your mouth. Other common symptoms include bloating, belching, nausea, hiccups dry cough or chronic sore throat.
Major causes include:
- Lying down after eating
- Being overweight
- Eating foods like chocolate, citrus, tomato, garlic, fatty foods, onions, alcohol and soft drinks.
- Medications including blood pressure meds, aspirin and ibuprofen.
Western Medical Treatment For Reflux
- Antacids neutralise the acid in your stomach but they can cause diarrhoea or constipation. Antacids can provide temporary relief to reflux symptoms.
- Foaming agents that coat your stomach to reduce reflux.
- H2 Blockers or proton pump inhibitors act to reduce acid production.
- Prokinetics empty your stomach faster to prevent reflux.
- As a last resort surgery can be performed to create physical barriers to stomach acid ascending up the oesophagus.
Chinese Medicine Treatment for Reflux
The reason for reflux is poor stomach function and too much heat in the stomach. Acupuncture and Chinese herbs are highly effective for treating reflux as they improve blood flow to the stomach to strengthen stomach function, directly reduce heat and acid in the stomach. Acupuncture Melbourne and Chinese herbs treat both the symptom and the root cause of reflux. By successfully treating the root cause of reflux, Chinese medicine helps prevent it from returning. At this time you should be able to stop any medications.